|Day in Court Tour Guide Orientation
If you are a BASF member, choose a date(s) from the current schedule and email Terry Norbury your choice. He will confirm your participation on that date.
You should meet with Megan Filly at her office #227 around 9:15. She will give you materials and open the designated courtroom.
During the Welcome Session (9:30 - 10:15) you will, depending on how much time is available:
- Introduce yourself
- Discuss schedule
- Discuss physical courtroom layout
- Review positions of bench/judge, clerk, court reporter, bailiff, jury box/jury, counsel table, and gallery
- Discuss meanings of "bench", "stand", "bar", etc.
- Outline of a Civil Trial
- Civil vs. criminal, burden of proof
- Review of Trials and Hearings
- Discuss general nature of cases: personal injury, eviction, asbestos, etc.
- Discuss Law & Motion, small claims, harassment calendar
- Discuss nature of court tours (groups of 8-10 students with chaperone)
- What to look and listen for: basics of dispute, how attorneys present themselves, how judge rules on objections
- Rules of Conduct
- Quiet and respectful
- No eating/gum chewing; do not leave building
- Role of bailiff in maintaining order
- Meet with the designated Judge in their courtroom at 11:30 a.m.
During the tours, you should visit the courtrooms with the students, keeping an eye out for issues.
At noon, give a signal to the Judge that it is time for the tour to end.